A one-hour introduction to ObsPy is available at YouTube.
This tutorial does not attempt to be comprehensive and cover every single feature. Instead, it introduces many of ObsPy’s most noteworthy features, and will give you a good idea of the library’s flavor and style.
A Chinese translation of the tutorial (as of 2020-04-12) is available here.
There are also IPython notebooks available online with an introduction to Python (with solutions/output), an introduction to ObsPy split up in multiple chapters (again, versions with/without solutions available) and a brief primer on data center access and visualization with ObsPy. There are also nice Jupyter notebooks with an introduction to matplotlib.
Introduction to ObsPy
- Python Introduction for Seismologists
- Reading Seismograms
- Waveform Plotting Tutorial
- Retrieving Data from Data Centers
- Filtering Seismograms
- Downsampling Seismograms
- Merging Seismograms
- Beamforming - FK Analysis
- Seismogram Envelopes
- Plotting Spectrograms
- Trigger/Picker Tutorial
- Poles and Zeros, Frequency Response
- Seismometer Correction/Simulation
- Clone an Existing Dataless SEED File
- Export Seismograms to MATLAB
- Export Seismograms to ASCII
- Anything to MiniSEED
- Beachball Plot
- Cartopy Plots
- Interfacing R from Python
- Coordinate Conversions
- Hierarchical Clustering
- Visualizing Probabilistic Power Spectral Densities
- Array Response Function
- Continuous Wavelet Transform
- Time Frequency Misfit
- Visualize Data Availability of Local Waveform Archive
- Travel Time and Ray Path Plotting
- Cross-Correlation Pick Correction
- Cross-Correlation Detector
- Handling custom defined tags in QuakeML and the ObsPy Catalog/Event framework
- Handling custom defined tags in StationXML with the Obspy Inventory
- Creating a StationXML file from Scratch
- Connecting to a SeedLink Server
In the advanced exercise we show how ObsPy can be used to develop an automated processing workflow. We start out with very simple tasks and then automate the routine step by step. For all exercises solutions are provided.